School Closure and Emergency Information
What should I do in the event of adverse weather and a possible school closure?
The most common reasons for enforced school closures are:
- Severe weather – heavy snow, ice or strong winds which may cause structural damage or disruption to safe travel to and from the school, or in some cases around the school site
- Damage to buildings – caused by strong winds, fire, flooding or criminal damage
- Utilities failure – a burst water main, issues with the toilets or a heating failure
- Shortage of staff – this will only happen if circumstances have meant that there are not enough staff in school to ensure the safety of pupils
- High levels of illness – significant illness amongst staff and pupils may lead to closure if there are insufficient staff to open the school safely, if the school requires deep cleaning or if public health advise closing for a short period of time
- Industrial action – there may be rare occurrences that unions call teachers to take strike action. If enough teaching staff choose to strike, the school may have to close.
Be reassured that it is always our intention to open, no matter what the weather. We will only close if the impact of the weather conditions affects the health and wellbeing of the pupils and the staff.
If we do have to close due to adverse weather we will always ensure that you are advised as soon as possible, in most instances we will be able to send a letter a day or two before hand to advise that we have been warned of the likelihood of bad weather.
On the day however we will advise you in the following ways:
- The Southampton Council website
- The Mason Moor Primary School Website
- Text: the school will also text parents and carers as early as possible. Please ensure the school has your up to date contact number, a mobile number would be ideal
- You can also sign up to the Council’s Twitter service, LearningInSoton
- Or the Council's Southampton Parents page on Facebook
The school office will always be manned from 7:30 so if you are still unsure, please call on 02380390140.