News and Letters
UPDATE FOLLOWING ANNOUNCEMENT FROM DOWNING STREET 12th March 2020
The Coronavirus pandemic has gone beyond "containment" phase into "delay".
The current advice is that if you develop the following symptoms you, and everybody in your household, should self-isolate for 7 days:-
- a new persistent dry cough and
- a temperature/fever of over 37.8
Please inform the school if you choose to self-isolate.
Schools are advised not to close unless specifically told to do so by Public Health England. We are unaware of anybody in the school community who has tested positive for Coronavirus.
This is a fast changing situation and the school will continue to receive daily briefings from Public Health England. Please make sure that we have your up-to-date email/phone details so that we can contact you quickly.
The Government is closely monitoring the spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and is taking actions at home and abroad.
ACTIONS TAKEN SO FAR BY THE SCHOOL
- Daily briefings received from Public Health England and Southampton City Council
- Children reminded and monitored of regular and effective hygiene routines
- Additional assemblies for children showing them how to wash their hands with soap and water
- Adult visitors to the school asked to use hand sanitizer containing alcohol (alcohol-free anti bacteria gel will not be effective for any virus)
- Additional deep cleaning of classrooms and general areas around the school
- Deep cleaning of school over the Easter holiday.
We will keep you informed of any updates/changes as advised by Public Health England and Southampton City Council. The current advice is that no school should close in response to a suspected (or confirmed) COVID-19 case unless advised to do so by Public Health England.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
The most important action that we can all take is to follow effective normal hygiene routines to prevent and slow the spread of coronavirus:-
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds (singing 2 verses of Happy Birthday). Watch the following video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5JIWmetma0&t=21s
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- If you feel unwell, stay at home and don't attend work or school
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue and then throw the tissue in a bin (Catch it, Bin it, Kill it)
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces in the home
- If you are worried about your symptoms, please call NHS 111 - don't go directly to your GP or other health care environment
SYMPTOMS OF CORONAVIRUS
- a cough
- a high temperature
- shortness of breath
But these symptoms do not necessarily mean you have the illness.
The symptoms are similar to other illnesses that are much more common, such as cold and flu.
USEFUL INFORMATION SOURCES
- Coronavirus Helpline: Phone 0800 046 8687
Travel advice for those travelling overseas: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus